Sunday, May 22, 2011

Oh, The Places You'll Go...

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...
-- Dr. Seuss, Oh! The Places You'll Go! 

As you should have figured out by now, I will officially be done with college in one (!) week. Which leads me to think of very random things...

1. Take alcohol for instance. I know a number of people who have been finished with college for a few years (or a select few who decided to skip college and go straight to the 'Real World') ... and it seems like all they do outside of work is go out and party. At least four days a week. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a night out with friends and having a couple beers, but to go out more than two nights in one week for me is about impossible. Sure, I'm still in school, and I work pretty much full-time, and I am in my early-20's, but I'm beginning to think I've outgrown the "party" stage of life. This is where those people come into play. These people who go out Sunday, Monday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday and then start it all over again. These people who get black-out drunk every time they drink. These people who spend endless amounts of money on what? A fun night that they won't remember?

2. Acquaintances. Perhaps someone you graduated from high school with, had a college class together, or a co-worker from a previous part-time job. Someone whom you've talked to maybe a handful of times, where the typical conversation goes like this:
Hi, how are you? "Good! How about you?" Good! What have you been up to?! "Not much, school, work, family, etc. what about you?" Oh the same...well it was good seeing you. "You too!" Someone who tries (or appears to try) to make plans. I'm a person who has a few GREAT friends, rather than several "so-so" friends. Sure, I know a lot of people, and I won't hesitate saying hi to someone if I see them out, but I'm happy with my few closest friends.

3. Children. Don't get me wrong, I love kids. The thing that bothers me is the mom (or dad, or both) don't live up to their titles. A lot of my friends have children, or are expecting. There is no doubt in my mind that these women will be amazing mothers, as several of them don't have dad in the picture. If you are responsible enough to have [unprotected] sex, get pregnant, and choose to keep your child, then you need to be responsible enough to care for and raise your child.

4. Travel. I want to see the world. I haven't been many places...Texas, Las Vegas, UP of Michigan, Minnesota, Chicago, Wisconsin, St. Louis and Kansas City about sum it up. I want travel to be a part of my business life. My dad has gone on business trips since I can remember, and has met so many great people. I want that in my life.

I was up until 4:30am doing discussion posts and writing papers. Right now, I've got a few lists calling my name so I can graduate by May 31st. I wonder why I continue to procrastinate so much? 9 more days...I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

No comments:

Post a Comment