Wednesday, June 22, 2011

True Love

Love is patient, love is kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It is not rude, it is not self-seeking,
it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always preserves.
Love never fails.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love.
But the greatest of these is love.
1 Corinthians 13

Two of my very good friends, Stephanie & Nick, are a prime example of 'true love.' Last summer, I spent quite a lot of time with the two of them, but it wasn't until Labor Day weekend that we started spending most of that time together. Sunday night, Lexi & I decided to go to the Screaming Eagle and Nick & Blake were there. After a few hours of conversation, music & beer, Blake took us into Newton's and cooked for us.


Blake was in and out of the kitchen while Lexi, Nick and I watched people leave what used to be Roux Orleans and is now Black's 501 Piano Bar. It was a great way to bring summer to an end and celebrate Labor Day.


When Nick saw this picture, the first thing he said was, "it looks like I'm trying to fart and she knows it." Needless to say, it was probably true and we laughed about it 'til our stomachs hurt and we had tears in our eyes.

We all ended up crashing at Nick's place, which was a loft above the Screaming Eagle. The next morning, we were laying around watching Astro Boy when Steph called. "I think I'll swing by!" Once I hung up the phone, Nick asked me who I was talking to. "Steph," I replied. "Stephanie Tansey?! I've had a crush on her forever! Oh my God..." and then he proceeded to begin sweeping and Swiffer-ing his nearly spotless place. Blake and I decided to keep them company and went to lunch at Chapala's, where we enjoyed enchiladas with "creamy white sauce" and margaritas. Steph and I took a trip to Target after lunch (for some pocket t's) and hung out until we went over to Nick's for pizza and game night.

And so it went from this...


...and phone calls and talks with each of them about how great the other one is and how happy they are, to this...



Throughout my relationship with each of them and their relationship with each other, I've learned a lot about life, myself, friendship, and love. I would often scrunch up my nose or make gagging noises whenever they'd kiss each other or say 'I love you' in front of me, but I now realize that they were and still are truly, madly (deeply) in love with each other. That kind of life doesn't come easy, and not everyone is blessed to experience it. I couldn't be happier for them and I am beyond thankful for being a part of their life.



No comments:

Post a Comment