Sunday, January 8, 2017

Meal Prep Sunday // Crockpot Breakfast Bake & Buffalo Chicken Chili

Disclaimer: I am no meal prep pro by any means!  I am, however, pretty proud of myself for having breakfast and dinner done in the crockpot all in one day.  Now, if I could only get in the habit of doing this every week!


I didn't think to take any pictures of the breakfast bake I made in the crockpot, but it is so, SO easy!  And delicious!


Ingredients:
2 lbs frozen hash browns
Your choice of meat (I used one package of Jimmy Dean turkey sausage crumbles)
1 doz. eggs
1 bag or 2 cups of shredded cheese (I used Colby jack)
1 cup milk
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Onion salt (or 1/2 cup diced onions - whichever you prefer)


Instructions:
1. Beat eggs until well blended (I did this with my KitchenAid mixer to save some time).

2. Beat in milk, garlic powder, salt & pepper.  Set aside.
3. Layer potatoes and season each potato layer with a pinch of salt, pepper and onion salt (or onions).
4. Layer in meat.
5. Top with 1 handful (or cup) of cheese.
6. Repeat the layering 2 more times.
7. Pour egg mixture over layers.  For refrigerated hash browns, cook for 6-7 hours on low.  For frozen hash browns, cook for 7-8 hours on low or until eggs are set.


/////

For dinner, we are having buffalo chicken chili and after trips to two different stores this morning, I forgot the bleu cheese crumbles. :)  The original recipe I have is a stovetop one with diced tomatoes so I did a bit of altering the last few times including throwing it all into the crockpot.


Ingredients:
Frozen chicken breast (I generally use 2-3 breasts)
2 cans white or northern beans
32oz chicken broth
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup Frank's buffalo hot sauce
1 tsp minced onion
1 tsp minced garlic
8oz cream cheese
Optional: top with bleu cheese crumbles & tortilla strips




Instructions:
1. Dice vegetables.
2. Place frozen chicken breasts in crockpot and add in chicken broth, minced onion & garlic, beans, celery, carrots and hot sauce.  Place cream cheese on top.
3. Cook on high for 4 hours.
4. Keep lid on and shred chicken breasts with forks & stir in the cream cheese during the last half hour and then turn to low or warm, depending on how long it will be until you eat.





We topped it with tortilla strips and tried shredded mozzarella and gouda cheese.  I think Josh liked the gouda better - he tried both and took gouda to work, I only tried the mozzarella.


/////


I also made a double batch of these granola/energy bites.  SO easy and I filled about 12 snack sized baggies with 3 bites.  I used a cookie scoop today to save my hands from being a mess so they turned out a bit bigger than in the past. 


Breakfasts, lunches and snacks are prepped for the week, dinner ideas are planned, and if we stick to it, we just might reward ourselves with a date night on Friday to finally check out the new Little Bigs on the Hill.  Here's to hoping we really do have willpower to cook at home and can make it through the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment