Monday, January 21, 2013

Death

What a blunt title, right?

A couple weeks ago, the father of a very close family friend passed away after a short illness. I was beyond shocked and deeply saddened when I heard the news. [I found out via a Facebook post. However received an email earlier that day about him having another infection & not doing so well]. Dave didn't have any grandchildren, but I always called him 'Grandpa Dave' [and Grandma Mave].

It's never easy to lose someone you care about. And for some reason, my brain goes overboard and a million things run in and out of it. I think I had such a hard time with this because Cindy was her daddy's little girl. And, at the wake, she cried so hard when she hugged my dad. [His dad passed away when my dad was just 9 years old].

But, Dave was ready. He didn't want to hurt or suffer any longer. Nor did he want his family to. At what point do you decide to trust in God when it's a life and death situation? No matter if it's yourself or a loved one, it's hard to not be selfish. Hold on to the photos, items, stories and memories of those close to you and never let go, for they will be with you forever.

"Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy."

No comments:

Post a Comment