Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Vomit

I'm going to warn you - this post might get a [little] out of hand. I mean well. Really, I do. But sometimes when I see things happen over and over and over again, I vomit. With words.

If you don't want to read any further, I'll leave you with this. My cousin said it best with her Facebook post the other day: Shitty parents disgust me.

If anyone reading this doesn't know me, I'm not married and I don't have any children of my own [but a nephew I spoil the crap out of]. So for this topic, some may say I don't have any room to talk. And for those who disagree with what I'm about to say, er, write...well, to each their own.

Last Sunday we had an ice storm. During this ice storm, two parents of an 8 month old and 2 year old, left their children at home [ALONE] to 'run to the store'. Well, as it turns out, the 2 year old was found outside. Outside! In a diaper. Alone. In an ice storm! Did it really take both parents to go to the store, or wherever they went, and did they really think it was perfectly okay to leave their two young children behind at home? Apparently.

Why do people who try and try and try [and deserve] to get pregnant have trouble, yet people who are nowhere near capable, ready, willing, excited [but disappointed and unhappy] get pregnant [once or multiple times]? It not only makes me sick, but breaks my heart into pieces when I hear stories on the news of abuse and neglect. When I see first-hand, some parents leaving their children for hours when they're off work, or when they get babysitters every single weekend. Don't get me wrong, mamas need their alone time whether it's a night on the town or 20 minutes to go tanning.

I realize that I will never know what it's like until I have children of my own, and I can only pray that [if one day I do become a parent] I do not fall under the category of these parents I've 'vomited about' above. A child is truly a blessing and they should be treated with love and affection, not disgust and neglect. Especially when they are so young and have their whole life in front of them. Nobody is perfect, but I know too many parents out there who like to portray themselves as 'mother of the year' by posting pictures on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. My word vomit wants to continue, but I think it's best if I stop here. It isn't exactly fair for me to do this, but I couldn't help it.

Oh, and I don't mean for this post to look like I'm singling out mothers. Because I'm not, I know there are many dead-beat-dads out there who I hope will one day realize what they're missing out on.

1 comment:

  1. Oh that ice storm story is sickening. We're trying and so far no luck. I can understand some of the heartache faced when couples are ready and want to extend their families but are unable to and others have 'unwanted pregnancies'. Still, I know of quite a few friends who have had unplanned pregnancies and have made it work. They love and cherish their little ones and want to give them the world. I like those stories.
    Bella xx

    ReplyDelete