Monday, June 3, 2013

Burgers, Dogs & Beer: Part One

A lot of people have asked why I spend my summers working at the local ballpark...

.. first off, it's not [completely] for the money. Tonight, I made a whopping $2.50 in tips - granted, it was Buck night [$1 hot dogs, $1 beers...] and the Budweiser Party Deck had 5 patrons.

.. it's not [completely] that I need to be busy 24/7 and work 13+ hour days, several days a week.

.. I sacrifice easy nights at home for long nights at Riverfront, weekends away for weekend home-stands, and Sunday Funday for Sunday Funday on the Deck.

.. I put in my sweat, blood & tears into being the Party Deck Assistant. Blood - only from tearing up my hands opening Smirnoff bottles. Tears - from laughing too hard at the things that happen every single day out there.

.. I do it because I truly enjoy being there. Sure, I might wish some days I could stay a little later at the office, make dinner at home, squeeze in a workout, do a Target run, pick up the house, watch the Stanley Cup Playoffs, or just relax and enjoy the weather [when it isn't raining]. But I make every effort to not miss more than a few times because I love the game. I love the relationships I build with people at the Stadium [not drunk creeps, don't worry!] And honestly, I'd probably be there 90% of the time anyways. I grew up sitting on the third base side with my Grandpa and my Dad and I still wear the Bucks shirt I've had since I was 12. It's a tradition and I'm happy to be a part of the Bucks family.

Just don't ask why we don't serve Coors Light on the Budweiser Party Deck or I might get a little snippy with you ;)


2 comments:

  1. I think it sounds like a fun job :) we are hoping to come to a game soon...one that doesn't involve flash flooding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun! And like any job, it has it's days...but it makes me appreciate things a little more sometimes. :) Hopefully you have better luck next time - and stop out on the Deck to say hi!

      Delete