Sunday, January 23, 2011

His Message

A year ago, my Sunday mornings were spent in bed, most likely punishing myself for the night before. Once I decided to get up, I'd make the 2-minute drive to McDonald's to get a large Coke and either a Quarter Pounder with cheese or chicken nuggets, depending on how hungover I was.

Now, I spend my Sunday mornings at church. It's the one thing I look forward to every week where nothing is expected from me. I don't have any homework to turn in or projects to be completed. I don't have to spend an absurd amount of money to get out of the house and enjoy Him. I just show up. Going to church has taught me a lot. It's helped me grow. It's brought me closer to God. And I'd like to think it has made me a better person. After church, we go to Newton's Paradise Cafe, a cute little diner in downtown Waterloo owned by one of my good friends, Blake Landau.

The last few weeks at church, Pastor Dan has given some pretty meaningful lessons. A couple weeks ago, he led a sermon that focused on how we're too busy with our lives to truly do what God wants us to. Relax. Have one day out of your week to enjoy life. To do what you love. To take a break from the e-mails, text messages, and everything else to take in what God wants us to enjoy. Don't think about work or school. Forget about how busy your week is going to be. Live life.

Today, Dan expressed that we need to ask Him for help, but also be patient and focus when we do ask for help. He used an example: do you go to the doctor, tell him you have a pain in your chest and you want to know what's wrong, then say "see ya later!" and walk out? No. You go, you wait, you get some tests done, you wait, and you talk about it. You wait. Wait for the doctor's response. So many times we send our prayers to God and expect an answer right away and we get frustrated because it doesn't usually happen that quick. So again, "turn off" life and when you take time to talk to God, take time to listen, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment