Wednesday, January 26, 2011

GOAL!

Goal (noun): 
1. a successful attempt at scoring

Patrick Kane of the Chicago Blackhawks; goal.

2. the state of affairs that a plan is intended to achieve and that (when achieved) terminates behavior intended to achieve it; "the ends justify the means"

With it being a new year, and (almost) a new chapter in my life, I've started a list of 2011 goals. 


A few goals that aren't pictured...

  • Run a 5K. This is going to take some practice as I am not a runner. Last night, I went to the Young Arena with my friend Steph. I'm pretty sure I ran the most I have in the last 4 years. A whopping 14 minutes. Big deal, eh? Well...I figured that by the time spring/summer rolls around and I start really focusing on a 5K, I want to do it in less than 30 minutes. After we did 17 minutes of a walk/jog/run, we did 15 minutes of stairs. Yes, my legs do hate me today, but it was a great start and I can't wait to get back to the rink.
  • Be happy.
  • Graduate college. I'm a "Super Senior." In other words, I'm a fifth-year college student. I've changed my major more times than I have fingers and toes, but I will be done in May, and I am definitely ready for it.
  • Be active.
  • Take a vacation.
  • Appreciate.
  • Watch what I say, when I say it, and who I say it to. Believe it or not, my mouth gets me into trouble...a lot. I keep everything bottled up inside me and when I finally say how I feel or why I'm upset,it gets taken out of context and I'm suddenly the bad guy. Some things are better left unsaid. I like these lyrics from the song Deuces Remix by Drake, TI, Kanye, etc. - Finally got it through my head not to run my mouth/so when you talk bout "you know who" I don't know who you talkin' bout

Having goals help keep me grounded and focused on what's important in my life. At John Deere, we have what's called GPMS, or Global Performance Management System. Each employee is required to go in, list responsibilities and set goals, and then review them with their manager at the beginning, middle, and end of the year to track progress. By jotting down my goals last November, I can look and figure out what I need to focus on during my last 5 months.

In the real world, I don't have a manager to keep me on track with my goals and responsibilities. I have myself. I have God. And I have a handful of family members and friends to remind me what's important in life. To tell me "don't sweat the small stuff." I trust that God has a plan for me. After all, everything happens for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment