Thursday, February 10, 2011

Mountains and Valleys

Prepare yourself...this is going to be a very random post but I can promise you that it all serves a purpose.

What can you always find on the top of a mountain? Snow. Last week, we were under a Winter Weather Advisory and a Blizzard Warning. Schools were closed on Tuesday and Wednesday and enjoyed a late start on Thursday. My car was stuck in my Dad's garage for a couple days (I wasn't complaining) as businesses and schools closed early and opened late due to 40mph winds and a predicted 4-8'' of snow.  The craziest part of the storm? It effected over 30 states including Iowa. Here is a satellite picture of the US...

 

Missouri Valley Conference - UNI Panthers. While the majority of the Cedar Valley was on shutdown last Wednesday, the UNI men's basketball team was preparing to take on Illinois State at the McLeod Center. Luckily, my night class was canceled so I got to sit in the L&N Transportation suite and enjoy comfy seats, a great view, snacks and cold beverages.


The second half was more exciting than the first as senior forward Lucas O'Rear suffered a fractured ankle and is out for the season. The refs must have forgotten how to call fouls on any players other than UNI's which resulted in last-minute free throws. My favorite part, however, was experiencing the evolving, student-led "Interlude" dance. The dance was created in a dorm last year and the article can be viewed here. I wonder how long it will be until it's featured on SportsCenter...

The Green Bay Packers and QB Aaron Rodgers climbed a mountain. Brett Favre was traded prior to the 2008 season and Aaron Rodgers had a rough transition into the starting quarterback spot. When somebody as good as Favre, who managed an impressive 297 consecutive starts until mid-December 2010, leaves a team, the fans aren't exactly excited for a fresh start. I think after this season, it's safe to say that Packer fans are saying, "Brett who?" The Packers beat the Pittsburgh Steelers, 31-25, in Super Bowl XLV and brought the Lombardi trophy back to where it belongs. (No, I am not a Packer fan, but I did cheer for them on Sunday. After all, Bryan Bulaga played for the Hawks last year.)


Jordy Nelson (Packers) 40 yd catch that set up a Packers TD in the 4th quarter.


Cedar Valley. A surprise visit from a good friend. Last Friday, Lexi & I went to the Black Hawks game and then down to Smitty's for a couple drinks. Smitty's is this small, "hole-in-the-wall" bar in downtown Waterloo. The walls are covered in old and new hockey photos; the ceiling covered with tacked dollar bills, ranging from $1-$100. Smitty's is, hands down, my favorite bar in the Cedar Valley. You can dress up, you can wear your pajamas, you will always see somebody you know, and you can always count on having a great time. After a solid 15 minutes of yawning and trying to decide if we should suck it up or just go home (this was around 10:30)...our friend Lauren who recently moved up to the Twin Cities surprised us by showing up. :) Lexi and I made it to bar close.



So how exactly does all of this tie together? Well, it really doesn't. But it was a creative way to combine what's been going on the last couple weeks. Here's where the "mountains and valleys" idea sprung from.

At church two weeks ago, Pastor Dan continued the series of Psalm 23 and focused on the dark valley. Even in the darkest valley, on the darkest days, He never lets go. The word "valley" speaks of tough times that we all go through. Valleys are inevitable. Valleys are unexpected. Valleys are purposeful. The good news? Valleys are only temporary. They come and go as part of life. It's impossible to have a mountain without a valley. Nobody makes it through life without going through a valley. Dan stressed that for every mountain, there are two valleys. Unfortunately, in life, we are surrounded by bad days and bad moods. For every two bad events we experience, we have a positive one, or a mountain. This series has been my favorite so far, as I can find myself relating to the messages. 

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures, 
He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul. 
He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, 
I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. 
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, 
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Psalm 23

No comments:

Post a Comment