Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day

If you know me, there's a good chance you know that I have a stronger relationship with my dad than my mom.

[My parents were divorced before I was 4 years old.]

Most of my favorite childhood memories were spent with my dad. I couldn't give you a 100% honest reason for it, either. I lived with my mom for the majority of my life until college. Growing up, she was the opposite of strict [or maybe I just refused to cooperate?] I don't have traditions to share or memories to recall from past Mother's days aside from being a moody, teenage girl who ruined a perfectly special day for the person who brought me into this world.

We may not always see eye to eye, but I can count on her to be there for me when I need her. She worries about me far more than she needs to. She's proud of me. She sticks up for me. She has saved special things from throughout my 25 years that I will appreciate and share with my future children. She celebrates just about every holiday [Halloween is her favorite] and she loves to dance. The things she's taught me are endless and the memories I have are forever.

She keeps telling me I'll know what its like when I have kids, and I don't know how many times she's told me that she hopes I have a daughter who is "just like me." [Now that's just scary...]

As I get older, I appreciate her more. I may be a spitting image of my dad, but I owe more to my mom than anyone. After all, I know what her heartbeat sounds like from the inside and I don't know what I'd do without her.

1 comment: